Wednesday, July 24, 2013

When It Rains, It Pours


When a few of us left for Antigua on Saturday, the sun was shining and the sky was clear. However, the decision to leave my rain jacket behind turned out to be a very bad one. All too quickly, dark clouds rolled in and a few raindrops here and there turned into a torrential downpour. Among the 5 of us, we had 1 umbrella and 0 rain jackets. (I’m glad we were so prepared for the elements…) Seeking shelter, we wandered deeper into the parts of a market with a roof. Eventually, we realized we would just have to make a run for the camioneta (bus) back to NPH. When the rain seemed like it had let up a teensy bit, we started speed walking/running to the buses. Apparently the weather was just being a tease though because about two seconds after the point of no return, the rain started pouring again. Once we got to the buses, for reasons I will never know THEY WOULDN’T LET US ON and there was no where else to go. At one point in the history of life on Saturday, there were 5 soaked American girls huddled and screaming under a single umbrella in the midst of a storm in front of a bus in Guatemala. Absolutely ridiculous, I know. Best one liner from the whole experience from one of our girls: “tan incómodo” (so uncomfortable).

Things didn’t exactly get better once we were finally on the bus. When I went to pay for my bus fare, I realized I had been pick pocketed in the market womp womp womp. (Everything was/is fine, don’t worry!) Then, we arrived back at NPH only to find a very clogged and disgusting toilet. An hour later, the power went out leaving us in the dark. You know what, though? It’s all good. Am I happy somebody robbed me? No, definitely not, but I’m going to assume they really, really needed the money. The scene of screaming girls in front of the bus? Pretty comical now (and let’s be honest, even when it was happening too). I think I’ll probably remember that for the rest of my life. Did I look like a hot mess getting on the bus? Oh yes, but at least I was able to make a few Guatemalans smile, even if it was at my own expense. The nastiness of the toilet gave the group something to bond over, and scrambling to find flashlights in the dark was fun too. No matter where you go in life there are going to be challenges- what matters is how you deal with them. Positivity is a big thing here at NPHG, so I’m keeping a smile on my face and laughing. Keep it coming, life.

No comments:

Post a Comment