Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Spanish Mass

If you didn’t know this about me, I’m Catholic and I enjoy going to Mass. I had wandered through some beautiful catholic churches during my exploration time on Sunday, and I had particularly loved la Iglesia de la Merced. The exterior was gorgeous and the inside was equally as stunning. Also, I loved that it was hundreds of years old! Originally built in 1546, la Iglesia de Merced has undergone a series of destructions (from earthquakes) and reconstructions since then. It was cool to think back on the thousands of people who have spent a few moments with God in this really old place, and that now I was part of that history too. I decided I wanted to experience Mass in there before I left Antigua, and luckily it was only about 5 minutes from the house I was staying in.

By Tuesday, I was feeling comfortable enough with my surroundings (and ready to have something to do at night) to take on this adventure. So, that evening after dinner, I ventured out to catch the 7 P.M. service. It was a good experience and I’m glad I went. I think I was a little tired and “Spanished-out” after 8 hours of class that day, so I’ll admit I caught myself zoning out a bit during the service. When I managed to make myself focus, I was able to get the gist of what was being said. (I love that Mass has the same format wherever you go in the world!) Aside from the long day of school, a few other things distracted me during the service. First of all, they had these cute little kids being altar boys. Like me, the boys also seemed a little disengaged and they were making me laugh with their fidgeting. Additionally, the lady in front of me was singing the Mass parts with full heart and voice (any of my Domers catch that Father Rocca shoutout?) but she was so off key! That also made me smile, but only because I thought it was awesome that she was singing with such gusto. Finally, during communion the altar boys kept sticking these silver plates on sticks under people's mouth. I was so confused by them at first, but eventually I realized that they must be doing that to catch the Host in case it drops. That was another difference- the norm was to have the priest put the Host directly in your mouth rather than your hands. So overall, Mass is unsurprisingly the same here in Guatemala but there were a few differences to keep it interesting and make me laugh. I need to learn some Spanish hymns!

Hopefully I make it back for another Mass that I’m a bit more attentive in, but I’m glad I got to go at least one time. I’m looking forward to experiencing Mass at NPH with the kiddos!
La Iglesia de Merced. PRETTY.
Oooo, very nice inside too!
One of many spots for candles before a devotion to a saint.

2 comments:

  1. You are so cool. I love being able to go to Mass here and you go there (or in Vegas or wherever you happen to be at the time) and knowing we're all connected with the same Mass and the same Eucharist. SOO GOOD! Love you!!

    -Kelspants

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, I was just waiting for you to read this! YOU were the only person I could think of during this little adventure. There is no one else I'd want by my side trying to find a parish in a new country haha. It wasn't the same without you, but know you were in my thoughts and prayers the ENTIRE TIME. And yes, like you said, we are all connect in spirit even if we're not together physically. I love you so much, thank you for reading!!! :)

      Delete