Wednesday, July 3, 2013

First Steps in a New World- Exploring Antigua

Once I got the tour of the home, I sensed Flor (my hostess) encouraging me to go out and explore. She gave me a map and some safety tips and then kind of left me to do my own thing, which was great. I realized that this Sunday was probably going to be my only day to check out Antigua since I would have 8 hours of class a day for the rest of the week and it’s not safe to be out at night. So, I set off in the mid-afternoon to see what I could find!
Yeah, that's right. I stomped on those uneven cobblestones.
I was really struck by how old this city is- you can definitely tell that some parts are actually hundreds of years old. For example, I just walked by some ruins of colonial buildings three minutes from the house, no big deal. I eventually hit the plaza square where a bunch of shops were. I met a tour guide named Louis who was excited to be what he thought was my first friend in Antigua. (I didn’t burst his bubble by telling him about Flor and Hugo who I was already BFFs with…) Eventually, a live band started playing and couples began dancing on the sidewalk (too sweet!). Horses pulled carriages around the plaza, which had this big, attractive fountain centerpiece. I could tell I was in a touristy area since I could still hear lots of English around me, but I was using my Spanish so I was happy!
Ruins. Casual.
Everything was all really cool, but the one thing I had associated with Antigua (thank you, college Spanish class) and wanted to see was El Arco de Santa Catalina. I was just thinking about asking for directions when I turned a corner and there it was in all its historical and architectural glory! Apart from being visually beautifully, the arch is neat because it allowed nuns to cross the street without being seen back in the 1600s and 1700s. I was elated that I had unexpectedly stumbled upon the crown jewel of Antigua. I couldn’t resist splurging on a beautiful little watercolor of El Arco painted by a street artist as a souvenir. I love it so much and I can’t stop looking at it. It’s going to look great on my bedroom wall this year!
EL ARCO DE SANTA CATALINA!!!
Still riding my “I love traveling” high, I decided to sample some local cuisine. I had this FANTASTIC roasted corn on the cob served with a lime slice and salt (which I also think was flavored with lime). I had forgotten to eat lunch that day, so I basically devoured it. I spent the rest of the afternoon wandering into shops, exploring old churches, and snapping a few pictures. It was a bit of a surreal feeling to be so “off the grid”. I didn’t have a phone, no one knew anything about me, and no one in the world knew where I was. For a few hours, I was responsible for just me, myself, and I. I definitely savored the moment knowing that soon enough A LOT more responsibility will be coming my way, which I can’t wait for! I think I was just acknowledging and appreciating this personal time before things really kick into gear.
Before.
After. I was just a little starving.
I know today probably won’t be representative of my year with NPH. I doubt I will be traveling and exploring all the time like I did today, and that’s okay.  That’s not what my time with NPH is supposed to be about. This isn’t another semester of study abroad, it’s a year of service to the kids. All that being said, I’m glad I got a little independent adventure Jess time in before many hours of language school this week. That also doesn’t mean I won’t whip out my Nalgene and boots (AKA “adventure gear”) as soon as I get the chance again either! (BOTH OF THEM WERE SO WORTH PURCHASING- check ‘em out!)
Boots+Nalgene=Happy Jess :)

No comments:

Post a Comment