Friday, July 19, 2013

Casas, Sections, Harry Potter, and Tarantulas


After two long weeks, orientation is finally done! At times, it felt like an information overload but I know it was all in an effort to thoroughly prepare us for the upcoming year. This week brought some big news breaks in my little volunteer mini world. First came the housing announcements to finally let us know what volunteer houses we’ll be moving into and who our housemates are going to be. Details on this will come soon! Then, even more excitingly, we also finally picked our section of kids. After a lot of unnecessary stress and deliberation on my part, I settled on the Santiago section. That means I’ll be spending a lot of time this year with 22 boys 13-15 years old. I’m sure my boys will definitely make this year even more of an adventure, and I like that they are the same age as my brother. It’s really, really nice to know both where I am going to live and what my section is!

Overall, the week was pretty quiet and low-key. Thank goodness one of the other volunteers brought several Harry Potter movies to fill our evenings with. We were good volunteers and watched them dubbed in Spanish, which actually turned out to be pretty hilarious at points. In case you’re wondering, “swish and flick” only translates to “swish y flick”. One night during the week, we had a little visitor on the front porch in the form of a BIG, FAT, HAIRY TARANTULA. (Ironically enough, this was during the second Harry Potter movie, which involves lots of spiders.) I’ve seen tarantulas in the desert at home before, but it was still kind of creepy to watch it crawl. Apparently, it’s pretty uncommon to see these so hopefully our spider friend will just keep moving on. Everything starts for real on Monday- full time in the clinic, spending time with my section, and more. I’m looking forward to finally beginning!
A little Harry Potter action. Really exciting night.
Group freak out. It was a good bonding moment.
Itsy bitsy spider... Sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment