Wednesday, July 3, 2013

No Hay Agua- The First Morning

This post needs to start with a background story. By the time I arrived in Antigua on Sunday after all the traveling, I was pretty grimy and ready for a shower. Flor (my hostess) had explained to me which shower knob to turn and in which direction (an emphatic “A LA IZQUIERDA!”) to get hot water. Also, fun fact: hot water was only available from 6 P.M.-9 A.M. A few hours later, I was ENTIRELY ALONE IN THE HOUSE FOR THE NIGHT (scary business) and ready to take my first shower in Guatemala. This turned out to be easier said than done.

The adventure began as soon as I undressed and grabbed the towel I had been given. It was so tiny- I would probably use it to swaddle an infant. It really didn’t cover everything that a towel should cover, but since I was alone I just scurried over to the bathroom and figured I could air dry a little if I needed. In the shower, I followed the instructions exactly, turning the left knob all the way to the left. I expected a nice stream of hot water to come pouring out. You know, standard business. Nah-ah, my friend, nah-ah. What I got instead was a dribble of freezing cold water. I started fiddling with the right knob hoping I had heard the directions wrong. I was able to get a volume of water that was almost semi-decent, but was still so cold. After standing there shivering for a few minutes, I gave up and washed up as best I could. I was going to have to man up fast (or just be really smelly) if this was the norm for showering. Wishing I had savored a little more in America what was possibly my last hot shower for a long time, I got out of the shower with my mini-towel. I was semi-clean and semi-dry, but still totally okay with life as I climbed into bed to catch up on sleep after traveling. It was all good, I could deal.

The next morning, I went into the bathroom to brush my teeth. I turned the faucet tap on the sink, but no water came out! Since turning the sink on is so hard, I figured I might have done something wrong and tried again. Still nothing. I tried the shower. Nada. I tried the toiled. Zip. I tried other bathrooms. Zilch. (My thoughts: “Guatemala, I don’t play these games. Knock it off.”) Feeling entirely silly, I asked the maid, Rosaria, if she knew why there wasn’t water. She just said sometimes that happens and that it will be back in a few hours. Alrightyyyyy then, sounds good- gracias Rosaria! All I could do was smile and shake my head- this was so different than home. And hey, it wasn’t going to last forever. I know a lack of running water is not something to laugh at, but in the moment the difference between home and here was kind of fun, just a new little part of the journey.

Rosaria was spot on with her prediction- the water did come back in a few hours. Even better, I think my awful shower situation the previous night was tied up with the water issues the following morning. I tried the shower again tonight and was able to get a decent stream of hot water- YES! I don’t really know what the deal with the water was but I’m glad it worked itself out. Not that I couldn’t have handled it if I had to go without hot showers for a year, but I won’t lie that I’m grateful that I don’t have to. Also, as I was getting dressed that morning I couldn’t help but realize the irony of one of my favorite ND t-shirts. It says, “1 in 6 people in the world don’t have access to clean drinking water.” Luckily, I do have drinking water and the shortage on running water was only a few hours, but I know there are many people who are not as fortunate as I am. I had never felt closer to being a part of that statistic than I did that morning. Anyways, say a little prayer of gratitude next time you turn your sink on because you never know when it might just take a break for a bit!
¡Un milagro! Never again will I take this for granted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment