Thursday, August 22, 2013

Kermes: Mayamania


Back post #1- The volunteers are in charge of organizing a “Kermes” every two months. Kermes is some activity about two hours long for all 300 kids in the home, and it’s different every time. I got to experience my first one two Sundays ago (August 11th). We called it “Mayamania”, which I thought was a hilarious title. Everyone was divided into a group. I was leading Team Jaguar, rawwwwr- SO FIERCE! 
Claws up, kitties.
There were six activities for all the teams, and each one was related to the Mayan culture in some way. Every team received a certain number of points for each activity. After those six activities, we had relays (estafetas) for semifinals and finals for the teams with the highest scores to determine the overall winner. Here are the activities that we had in store for the NPHG kiddos:

1. Make a human pyramid- more points for creativity and involving all members of the team. We were definitely the first (and maybe only?) team to receive 10 out of 10 points, awww yeaaah.
My thoughts: "Oh God, please no one fall, please don't fall." No one fell :)
2. Mayan ball game. You can only use your elbow, knee, or hip to get the ball through the hoop. Of course all the kids used their knees since they're soccer pros. Whatever. Side note: this is the game featured in the children's animated movie The Road to Eldorado (hilarious, definitely recommend it). Check out this scene for a better idea of how this game is played... and to get the reference I make in my caption (at 0:12 in the clip)!
THE HIP, THE HIP!
3. Mayan numbers. We made them think a bit with one. They had to draw numbers out of a hat and then work as a team to figure out how to write them in the Mayan language with sticks and stones. Isn't that cool that they learn that in school?! I was impressed at least. Hooray for fun and educational things!
Smarty pants.
4. Puzzle (rompecabeza- that's a fun word) with Mayan symbols for some months. Yours truly helped draw some of them!
Work in progress.
FINISHED!
5. Tortillar (make tortillas).

Tortillando, tortillando...
Daaaaang, those are some nice tortillas if I do say so myself. FULL POINTS, BABY!
6. Traditional dance, complete with costumes. Lots of marimba music.
Shake it, Jaguars.
I was totally stoked when Team Jaguar ended up winning Kermes! My team really was great- they had awesome teamwork and enthusiasm. I got lucky, that's for sure! At the end, every child got a snack of corn, complete of course with salt and lime.
Elote for days...
I really did enjoy Kermes. It was a great way to spend time with the kids and have the whole NPHG family together for a morning. All the volunteers definitely tried hard, and people said it was the best one we've had in awhile. It was a great one to start off with, and I'm looking forward to the next one in October... on my 23rd birthday! That's all I've got for now except for a few more pictures.
One of my favorite favorites!
I have no idea what he was trying to do with his hand but it made me laugh. Goof.
Baby! Perhaps part monkey judging by how he climbed all over me... at the cost of one of my earrings. Good thing you're cute, kid ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment