Tuesday, August 27, 2013

First Proyecto Familiar

Back post #3- Another part of life as an NPHG volunteer is proyectos familiares, or family projects. When children are accepted into the home, generally all of their siblings who aren't old enough to live on their own come with them to the home as well. The idea is to keep families together. However, once the kids are all here, it can be difficult for siblings to find time to spend together if they're not in the same section. They get pretty busy with their respective lives, so the proyectos familiares are a great way to carve out some family time for them. Proyectos are about two hours long, involve money for food, and are pretty much whatever the family wants to do. I'll have a different group of siblings for every proyecto, and I will be doing two proyectos each month.

I had my first proyecto familiar a few weekends ago. I was pretty nervous mostly because my Spanish still leaves a lot to be desired, but it actually went great! I was assigned a group of three brothers, one of which was in my section. I was thrilled when they told me they wanted to bake a cake and play board games because that sounded fun to me too (especially the cake part). During the proyecto, the boys and I whipped up a white cake and played several intense games of Sorry! while it was baking. The cake was delicious. I was soooo happy to have some sugar, and the boys enjoyed it as much as I did. The boys told me that the proyecto was "muy bonito", or very good. The most important thing to me was that the boys were happy, so my day was made to hear that the mission was accomplished. One thing I think is great about proyectos is that the kids also receive money to print off a family photo. Thus, the boys had a blast at the end of the proyecto taking photos. It was pretty much a mini photo shoot. Check out the brothers who made my first proyecto familiar so great... I'm already looking forward to my next proyecto!

No comments:

Post a Comment