Monday, August 26, 2013

Anniversary of Father Wasson's Death


Back post #2- Father Wasson was the founder of NPH and dedicated his life to helping thousands of children. He was an incredible man, but unfortunately, I'll never get the chance to meet him in person since he passed away in 2006. His memory lives on within the NPH homes though, and his founding principles and ideals are still strongly felt. There are tons of posters of Fr. Wasson around the home, and the kids worship this guy- he's kind of like a saint to them. Now that Father Wasson is no longer with us physically, the tradition is to have a huge celebration on the day of his death, August 16th. This year was no exception, and so all the kids gathered in the comedor (the dining hall) bright and early on the anniversary to start making murals. I was completely BLOWN AWAY when I walked into the comedor a few hours later to see everyone's hardwork. All the murals were truly incredible! I loved how the kids brought the outside in. For me, it was one of the coolest events I've experienced at NPH and in Guatemala so far. I found it extremely interesting to see how a different culture handled death, and it was really touching to see how much the kids still honestly loved Fr. Wasson, even if they had never met him. I sure hope people celebrate my death this way! Enjoy the pictures of all the murals, and I dare you not to let your heartstrings get pulled.

"It’s surprising what you can do in a lifetime if you do it just a little at a time." -Fr. William B. Wasson... What are you doing with your lifetime a little at a time?
Perhaps my favorite...
"Although I can no longer hug you, you will always be with me." Awwww <3

No comments:

Post a Comment