Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Simple Living

Part of this year of service is learning to live simply. I receive Q400 (about $52 USD) every month, and I'm doing my best to live within that even though I cheat more than I'd like to admit. It's definitely been a challenge but at the same time a really great experience thinking about what is sufficient versus superfluous, what is a necessity versus a want. I've really enjoyed shopping in local markets instead of commercialized supermarkets and upping my bartering game. It also feels great to be supporting the local people! If you shop in the right places and purchase with discretion, you can really stretch your money, especially in Guatemala. (Ex: A dozen fresh bananas for Q5/$0.80 USD? I THINK SO! Thank you, Mr. Banana Stall Man.) At this rate, I'll pay off my student loans in no time because I'm now stingy beyond belief. Especially within the volunteer world of NPH, life really is simpler here. I don't wear makeup, and the first time I blow dried and straightened my hair in two months was this past Saturday for the first ND football game (it was a BIG day). The volunteer houses also reflect simple living/living in Guatemala as well. I thought it would be fun to share some examples of how I have experienced simple living this year. There are many other things, but these are some of the ones that made me laugh or I'm still shaking my head at. Enjoy!

"Live simply so that others may simply live."

The toaster. WHAT?! (on the stove that you light with a match). STILL. CAN'T. GET. OVER. IT.
Getting excited about new pretty chore bubbles=perspective changes
Using gauze wrappers as paper (scribbling down lyrics to Spanish songs on the radio)
Recycling my peanut butter jar and some old ribbons into a book end!
The community toothbrush corral, yeeeehaaaaaw for dental hygiene!
When you don't have cookie sheets, you get creative.
The kitchen sink! It's outside of the house on the backside. Typical of Guatemala.

No comments:

Post a Comment