Friday, September 27, 2013

San Antonio Palopó, Lago Atitlan

My main post about my trip to Panajachel is already way too long. Thus, this post is dedicated solely to the mini adventure I had that weekend, which was by far my favorite part of the trip! I need to start with a story. A few months ago, I had seen some beautiful pottery in a craft market while I was waiting out a rain storm. I loved it, but I wasn't ready to buy anything. I left empty handed but determined to come back before the end of the year. After that day, I started noticing the same type of pottery all over the place in Antigua. It was so beautiful! Eventually, I asked a woman in a shop if there was a special name for the style, type, etc. of this pottery. She told me it all came from a little town called San Antonio Palopó at Lago Atitlan. I walked away repeating, "Palopó, Palopó, Palopó" and thinking, "Remember this, Jess! It's important!" I had pottery on the brain. I started researching this mythical land of pottery called San Antonio Palopó. (Click here so you can learn about San Antonio Palopó pottery too!) As fate unfolded and we planned our trip to Panajachel, I realized that San Antonio Palopó was super close to Panajachel. I HAD A CHANCE TO GO TO THE POTTERY MECCA OF SAN ANTONIO PALOPÓ!

It took very little to convince the other girls to check out San Antonio Palopó with me; Emily had already been riding the pottery obsession train with me, chooo chooo. So, on Saturday afternoon we set out towards San Antonio Palopó. The adventure began right away with transportation because we had to ride in the back of a very crowded pickup truck with the locals. That alone was a really cool experience. As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm all about traveling like the people do, and that was definitely it.
Kyra modeling the means of transportation.
San Antonio Palopó. Reminds me of Greece, but poorer.
As soon as we stepped off the truck in San Antonio Palopó, we were greeted by a cute old Mayan woman named Maria who briskly asked us if we were here for the pottery. (Was it that obvious?!) After I practically shouted "yes!" at her, she started leading us through the small town. After zigzagging through a few streets and sharply turning a few corners, we were suddenly there, at THE original workshop/factory. I couldn't believe it! I was now standing at the place I had been dreaming about for weeks. Maria practically pushed us inside, urging us to go look at the different rooms where the men were working. I didn't really get an explanation of what was going on, buuuuut I did snap a few pictures!
Room 1- firing the pieces?
Room 2- get the pieces ready for painting?
This was my favorite part- watching the men paint! They really are such artists. I just kind of stared at them open-mouthed with wide eyed. I couldn't believe I was watching them make these masterpieces!
Master artisans at work. I died.
I love color. I died a second time.
While I was still gaping at the painting, Maria then ushered us into the room where the fun really began- the gallery! All of us were totally overwhelmed by all the beautiful things before us. I seriously wanted to buy everything. Thank goodness there wasn't an ATM in that town because I could have done some damage. It made me laugh to see us being such girls. For the first time in a long while, we were all hard core shopping. After a lot of indecision, bemoaning, biting our nails, and consulting with each other, everyone settled on a piece or two to buy. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED, BABY!
Shopping and sensory overload. Too many lovely options.
too stinking cool
Maria then conveniently ushered us away from the ceramics to her own fabric store. She makes all the textiles by hand. It was (almost) as equally as impressive as the ceramics. Luckily, I didn't have enough money to buy anything else, but I was really relieved that a few of the other girls bought a few of her pieces. She was really pushing them on us, and she was the woman who led us to the pottery after all! :)
Maria showing off her wares to us.
Thunder started to boom overhead, signaling the end of our magical afternoon. Again, it all felt like such a blur. On the way back to Panajachel, the pickup was much less crowded than the first time. The vacant bench started to get a little unruly on the bumpy roads. Thank goodness I have tall friends with long legs to keep it in check!
I suddenly felt like I had very short legs...
That afternoon was a prime example of why I love traveling. It was an unexpectedly incredible adventure and I felt like I was truly living. Who cares about Facebook, TV, or other things like that? It was awesome to be out experiencing the world and its people. As you can see from their genuine smiles in Maria's shop, I think the other girls were feeling just as equally high on life as I was at that moment.
Radiating pure joy and loving life :)
I doubt I will ever forget my experience in San Antonio Palopó. Just in case my memory starts to waver however, all I have to do is look at my bedside table to see one of the ceramic pieces I bought :) I've got a spot spot for souvenirs that are beautiful, artsy, and full of personal meaning. This was definitely one of them. I hope this year continues to bring me similar experiences as I travel!
Warms my heart every time I see it.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this place! How exciting and fun for you to adventure to such wonderful places! You have beautiful friends too!
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mommy, I can't wait to take you there! :) As always, thank you for reading!

      Delete