Friday, February 28, 2014

January and February Proyectos Familiares

Here it is again, folks, everyone's favorite recurring blog post about the proyectos familiares! In case you've somehow forgotten what they are, I'll refresh your memory really quick. A proyecto familiar (AKA "family project") is something a volunteer has to do twice a month with different sibling groups within the home. Among many other smaller ones, the main idea is to create a space for the siblings to spend time together. Proyectos can be a pain to organize sometimes, but they are almost always a lot of fun during the actual event. Here are my proyectos from January and February!

The "Proyecto Amistad"- It's always a lot of fun doing proyecto with our special needs kids, and in January I got to do a friendship project (because these two don't have siblings in the home) with two beautiful young ladies and another volunteer. We chopped up some banana, pineapple, and watermelon to make a delicious fruit salad and then just walked around outside in the sunshine. What a success it was!
stir it up, girl!
my wanderer :)
friends <3
The "Bros" Proyecto- I had proyecto with these boys a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. Thus, I was thrilled when I saw I had proyecto with them again! The brothers are now living in different places because of their levels of schooling, so we all met up in nearby Chimal for some ice cream in Central Park. We had a nice time catching up since the last project. They are good guys.
don't smile now or anything guys, really.
The "Newbies" Proyecto- NPHG had received some new families into the home recently, and I was lucky enough to be able to do their first proyecto with one family. I was stoked- I got to make the first impression about how great and fun and awesome proyectos are! There was quiet an age range between the four brothers, and I really appreciated how patient and attentive the older siblings were to the younger ones. We played with Jenga blocks for awhile and then nommed on a brownie we had baked. This was a milestone proyecto for me as well because I was "training" one of the new volunteers on how to do them. I remember when I was paired up with an old volunteer for my first proyecto, and it was pretty crazy to somehow suddenly be on the other side of the experience.
bigs and smalls!
teaching the new volunteer the ways of proyecto
That's it, ladies and gentleman. Stay tuned for more proyectos familiares in the months to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment