Friday, March 28, 2014

Vacation With 'Rents: Lago Atitlan & Antigua

Vacation With the 'Rents: 4 of 4 Posts

After Tikal and Semuc, the rest of the vacation with my parents was spent at Lake Atitlan, NPH, and Antigua. I have less to say about these spots just because I've already been to them multiple times/live there, but I enjoyed everything nonetheless, especially because I was showing them to my parents!

While we were at the lake, we stayed in the town of San Pedro. My parents were impressed by how high the lake water has risen over the years, as well as the toughness of the fishermen who work on the lake every day!
errr slight flooding problem :/
they make it look easy!
We had a really fun memory coming back from a day in Panajachel using the lancha boat. Of course the wind was blowing strongly and the waves were rough, which meant we got... SPLASHED! My parents were once again good sports and troopers about the whole thing and just embraced their sodden states. We laughed a lot :)
before the "splash ride" began
During the last days of the trip, we just hung out around "home base"- NPH and Antigua. As much as I enjoyed traveling with my parents, I'm so glad I was able to show them the NPH home that I've been calling MY home for the last nine months. They met my kids, other volunteers, and employees, saw the clinic where I work, and in general got a sense of my daily life. This more than anything was what I wanted them to experience during their trip. It's weird to think that now they know what I'm talking about when we Skype!

For the very last day of vacation, we started the day off right with a hike up Cerro de la Cruz in Antigua. We had the place to ourselves- we had beat the tourist rush! Both of them loved it, so it was definitely a success. I was happy that they were happy! At the bottom of the Cerro de la Cruz hill, we stopped to admire the ruins of an old church that I had never really taken the time to appreciate although I had passed it several times.
Cerro de la Cruz- always a memorable climb!
taking time to appreciate the ruins!


We spent the rest of the day running around Antigua enjoying the beautiful ruins, buying lots of pretty souvenirs, and soaking up the last few hours of each others company. Overall, it was a wonderful way to end our vacation!
some final liquados de fresa :')
Saying goodbye to my parents was probably the hardest goodbye of my life. I love them a lot. I'd do the painful goodbye a thousand times over though in exchange for the trip of a lifetime that we had which was so special for us. Thanks for the memories, Mom and Dad, and I'll see you in a few months! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment