Tuesday, December 31, 2013

New Year's in Mexico!

After working our butts off the whole month as tíos y tías, all the volunteers got a few days off at the end of December. Along with a few other real good volunteer friends, I basically sprinted away from the home to San Cristobal de las Casas, a city in the Mexican state of Chiapas. It was time to travel and have some FUN. My American mind enjoyed the fact that I actually headed NORTH to get to Mexico- weird.
I was surprised by how different Mexico was than Guatemala. There was a different feel- I could tell there was more money in Mexico, and I actually felt safer in Mexico than I do in Guatemala (although I'm sure it depended a lot on what part of Mexico I was in). Plus, the streets were so pretty all decked out with the little flags! I'm sure there is an official name for them but I'm not cultured enough to know what it is... ;)
Flaggage. Loved it. I want them in my house.
We spent the first full day we had walking around and exploring the city. San Cristobal de las Casas is a really nice place... I felt like I could have been in America. It's a place where Mexicans go for vacation, and I liked the absence of the true "tourist" vibe. The streets were clean, there were organic trashcans, and I didn't hear any catcalling. I was impressed! We saw a lot of pretty buildings, monuments, and churches, but here are some pictures of my favorite ones.
Iglesia del Cerro de Guadalupe
Iglesia de Santa Lucia
The next day was Adventure Day, woooohooo. We took a tour of nearby Sumidero Canyon, which was absolutely beauuuuutiful. It was incredibly relaxing just hanging out in the boat cruising along. I think at the end of the day I'm much more of a nature rather than city girl. I was so shocked when there was a real life crocodile just chilling out sunning on the bank! I had NO IDEA there were crocodiles in this part of Mexico, especially so far up a river. It was cool. We ended a great day with some great food- chicken enchiladas with mole. A-MA-ZING. (I would go back to Mexico just for the food. But seriously...)
*heaven music*
DSALDADKLFJALDSJK. IT'S REAL.
Literally so good.
Our last day in Mexico was New Year's Eve. We spent the morning and afternoon just walking around again and spending too much money in the markets (there are some seriously beautiful things, let me tell you). After searching and searching for a restaurant for dinner that night, we finally stumbled upon the perfect one. We had the whole place to ourselves, complete with a marimba band. It wasn't touristy at all, and I had the most incredibly delicious chicken enchiladas with salsa verde I've ever had in my entire life. After we finished dinner, the restaurant owners came out and gave everyone a free tequila shot... and took them with us! They were so kind to us. I left the restaurant feeling happy, full, and with renewed faith in humanity.
all for us, yay! :)
but really, wow.
Our New Year's Eve adventure continued when we settled into a bar for the night. There was this AWESOME live band playing salsa music. I got to spend the hours leading up to midnight dancing, enjoying a delicious piña colada, and having wonderful conversations with some really great people. It was a GREAT way to ring in the New Year! It was by far the best New Year's Eve I've ever had and definitely one I'll never forget.
moving and grooving!
My time in San Cristobal de las Casas was the perfect way to end a hard month and begin a New Year. I felt very grateful to be able to have such an adventure and refreshed and ready to return back to the volunteer life of NPHG. Overall, between the friends, food, and experiences, I had a great time in Mexico and want to go back to continue exploring it. Luckily for me, I didn't fulfill my goal of drinking a Corona (one of my favorite beers) in Mexico, so it looks like I'll just haaaave to go back one day. Oh darn, life is hard ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment